Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The hardest day yet.

Well today was rough. Physically as well as emotionally. We had to wake up at 5:30am and be in North York at the Fitness Institute by 7:30 to begin shooting.

We started off at Steve's gym for our fitness assessment. They took our measurements. This included him using a caliper to measure the thickness of our fat rolls. Nice huh? I am going to email him for our measurements so I can post mine. I want people reading this blog and following me to see the real me, size, weight etc.

I weighed 252lbs.

Austin did what was called a "Beep Test". If you want to know exactly what it is click the words "Beep Test". Basically it is a running test- The test involves running continuously between two points that are 20 m apart. These runs are synchronized with a pre-recorded CD, which plays beeps at set intervals. As the test proceeds, the interval between each successive beep reduces, forcing the athlete to increase velocity over the course of the test, until it is impossible to keep in sync with the recording. Austin did quite well. Once he was finished he was rewarded with a delicious chocolate/banana whey protein shake. He loved it. These will be part of his normal routine for breakfasts on mornings where he refuses to eat breakfast.

Chris and I had to do a fitness assessment which included the stationary bike for 12 minutes with increasing levels, sit-ups, push-ups, planks, and some thing where I lean against the wall in a sitting position. I am in agony and can "feel the burn". The end result... we are NOT fit... Duh!

Then we headed to the medical compound and got the results from our blood work.

I weigh 252lbs, Chris weighs 222. He gets alot more exercise than me so obviously he would be more healthy, right? Not true. He has be diagnosed with metabolic syndrome. He has 3 out of 5 precursors for developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes. I was holding back tears when the gave us the results (ON CAMERA!!!) I had gestational diabetes with my recent pregnancy and thought for sure I still was diabetic. I am not. My blood work was nearly perfect. Though I did have slightly high blood pressure, which could have been due to the stress of this particular day of filming.

Next Chris and I had to do a metabolic rate test. Chris hasn't gained weight in over 5 years, so we were certain his metabolism with be high or at least normal. Since I am quite overweight we thought mine would be s-l-o-w. This was NOT the case. Chris's is so low it's not chartable, mine was slightly below normal. WTF???? How can I be so healthy and normal???

We had a really HUGE shock today. That I won't tell you. If you want to see "shock factor" you need to watch the show when it airs. I assure you it will turn your stomach.

It was a really, really long day. We were released for the day at 6:00pm. Arriving at home around 7:30pm. Yikes... we hadn't been this tired in a LONG time.

We have a big shore ahead of us. Clearing out the pantry/fridge/freezer and re-stocking the kitchen with healthy foods.

1 comments:

Diana said...

Coleen when will this pilot air and where can we watch it?? Do you have any details yet??
Looking forward to sharing your journey.
Diana